Here are a few things staff members do, and have done, to make the world a greener place:
• We keep recycling bins handy at both nature centers, for use by staff and visitors.
• Every effort is made to use materials on hand, or repair existing machinery, before new purchases are made. This saves the Delaware County taxpayers money, too.
• The Lodge at Deer Haven Preserve was built in 2009 following LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) guidelines. Click here for a PDF describing “green” design features of The Lodge.
In the bigger picture, we:
• Restore wetlands, plant prairies and plant trees. All of these measures help land to filter impurities from water as it moves through a watershed, ultimately keeping drinking water supplies clean.
• Hold an annual “Green-Wise Fair,” to show families how to tread more gently upon the earth. The fair includes vendors, workshops and activities for children. The 2013 Fair will be on August 25.